Wednesday 5 July 2017

COILS TO LOCS

Eish! my LOCS are Bomb!!!
Image result for locs slogan
Its JULY!! And it tags along the cold season. Dust off those trench and long coats and keep your coffee close by at all times! How are you all?
So today i want to answer the questions that people ask me every now and then regarding my locs.
'How long are they? Do you wash them? Which products do you use? Do you go to the salon or you DIY? How do you maintain them?" they ask.
I am not a guru in 'all things natural' nor do i call myself a naturalist, but i will share how it is that i keep up with my dreadlocks just for those who want to join the #teamnaturals or for those who are already dread heads.
I decided to loc my hair on 14th Feb 2015 but since it was a rational decision, I did what everybody says, 'you got to shave your hair when beginning the journey!' This is just but a myth. I wish I did a good research on how well to begin locking my hair because I really experimented with it, from applying Coke to doing hideous things so that my short locs can tangle real fast! But i must say, I am enjoying my localicious journey so far!
To maintain and have clean locs, I normally do the following;

  • Wash after two weeks - Dreads tend to lock faster with clean hair. The shampoo used determines the future of your hair. Use non-residual shampoo that will not accumulate dirt in your locs.
  • Conditioning - I tend to use apple cider vinegar rinse where i mix 1/4 cup to 1 cup of apple cider with 6 ounces of water.This can be substituted to baking soda. It helps in penetrating the hair follicles and removing any residues. I do this twice a month.
  • Deep conditioning - This is done by natural oils eg olive oil, coconut oil, grape oil, jojoba oil, shea oil and almond oil. After washing your locs, dry them with a towel, coat with the natural oil desired and cover with a plastic cap or plastic bag. Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse with warm water. Do this once in every month.
  • Daily moisturizing - I make my own daily spritz that moistens my locs. I mix aloe vera juice with the above mentioned natural oils and add 5 drops of either peppermint oil, rose oil or lavender oil for a good scent. Put in a spritz bottle and store in the fridge. This acts like the hairs daily food. It is best applied at night so that it can loc in moisture. 
  • Protective night care - I got this silk scarf at a muhindi's shop that sells fabrics. Silk best locs moisture without being absorbed by the cotton pillowcase. And hair friction when we move our heads in sleep is minimized compared to using other fabrics as head scarfs. 
Make the above steps a routine and you will enjoy having the healthiest dreadlocks that will make heads turn.
I have just put across what I do, do not feel limited by trying out new ways.  
Have any more maintenance routine that I have not included? Drop a comment and share how you keep your hair looking thick and shiny!

Till next time, Cheerio!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment